Sunday, October 18, 2015

Story #2: A Girl's Best Friend

A Girl's Best Friend
"Miles! Miles! C'mon boy let's go inside." I was calling him for minutes but usually he comes right away. I started to get worried so I walked outside and looked around. After looking for awhile I looked down the road and I see a car stopped in the road and then they drove off. Right after they drove away I see Miles.
He is laying in the road so I sprinted to him. When I got there he was whimpering. I immediately start crying. He couldn't get up so I tried my best to get him out of the road but it was hard to move a 120 pound husky. Once I got him off the road I ran to my house to tell my parents. My dad and mom ran outside to Miles. My dad picked him up and put him in the car to take him to the animal hospital. I sat in the back with Miles to try and keep him calm because he hated car rides. We are all sobbing in the car. For being so old he still is in pretty good shape. He still got around pretty well but his hearing and sight was starting to decline. I've had Miles since I was born and I'm fifteen now. Ironically we have the same birthday so we are the same age. We have grown up together and I can't imagine not seeing him everyday. I'm praying that he is alright and he'll get to come back home.
Once we go to the animals hospital my dad picked up Miles and brought him inside. The veterinarians tell us to bring him into this tiny cold room. We explained to them what had happened and then they start checking out his back legs. "We are going to have to do x-rays" said Dr. Holland. They took Miles back into the x-ray room and I am so worried. About ten minutes later Dr. Holland came back in and told us that Miles is paralyzed in his back legs. She explained that there was a medicine that can help him but, eventually the medicine would wear off and he would eventually be paralyzed again. She left the room to let us think about our decision.
"What do you want to do?" my dad said.
"I don't want him to be in pain." said my mom.
"I agree. Honey what do you think? You have been awfully quiet."  my dad said.
" I don't want him to be in pain but I don't want him to be put down." I said sobbing.
"But hun he's fifteen and I don't think he would make it too much longer anyways." my dad said.
" I don't care I can't do it! He's been my best friend for fifteen years!" I said angrily.
"He can't be in pain. I think the best thing to do is put him down." said my mom.
Dr. Holland comes back into the room and we tell her our decision.
"Would you guys like to say goodbye to him?" Dr. Holland said.
"Yes we would." I replied.
We go back into this room where Miles is laying on a table covered with a blanket. I saw him and immediately start bawling. I go up to him and lay my head on his chest like I always do and Miles starts whimpering. My parent go up to him and say goodbye.
"Can I have a moment alone with Miles?" I asked.
"Yes of course you can." Dr. Holland said.
Once I was alone with Miles I just laid my head on him.
"You're going to be okay Miles I promise. If it was my decision I would have you live forever. You have been my best friend for fifteen years and I will never ever forget you. No dog will ever replace you. I love you so much." I whispered to Miles.
He looked at me with his sad eyes and I knew he loved me too. Dr. Holland came back in and told me it was time for me to leave. I gave Miles one last hug and as I was walking away he tried crawling towards me. He started barking and whimpering. I turned around for one last look at him and then left the room. I ran into my mom's arms and cry. I sat in my mom's arms for ten minutes and then Dr. Holland came out and told us that it was done.
On our way home the car was silent. I was still crying but my mom and dad were trying not to cry. I look over and see some of his fur and just smile. I'm going to miss him a lot and it is going to take me awhile to adjust to him being gone.
Two Months Later

We pulled into the driveway of the farm. I got out of the car and I see about ten golden retriever puppies running all over. The owner of the dogs came out and told me to pick out whatever one I want. I walk down to where all the puppies are and they all swarm me. I tried to pet all of them but there were too many. I looked around and saw one sitting in the shade by the barn by itself. I went over there and he was so cute and I instantly fell in love with him. I sat with him for about ten minutes. I picked him and brought him to my parents and told them that he was the one I wanted. My parents sat with him for about five minutes and they wanted him too. We told the owner we wanted to buy him. My parents paid for him and then we took him home. I was trying to think of a name for him on the way home. Once we got home I told my parents I wanted to name him Ryley and my parents loved it. Although he will never replace Miles I will love him so much and he is going to be my best friend.

37 comments:

  1. Good story, very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone through this....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think of my dog. Sooooo sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me cry good story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on building an emotional connection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the ending. It made me feel batter after being sad from the beginning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it ended on a happier note

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made me really feel what the author was going through

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could really feel how the author felt during the whole thing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice I could understand the authors feelings and the details were very well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have a dog that was the same age as me and the same birthday as me ironically..... Over all good story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very emotional, many people can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt what the author was going through the whole time I read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hits home to me, very relatable

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thoroughly depressed, thanks pal.
    But overall good story man.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very emotional but builds into a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cryed, very nice way to end it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost cried great job

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good story! Happy ending

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story all around

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sad, but a great story. Very relatable and the ending was very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hands up people how many others can relate to this

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made me want to sit in my shower and cry for 6 hours and think about my life without a best friend. Excellent piece of literature

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reminds me of my dogs

    ReplyDelete
  25. dogs are good people

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with Whitney I felt the author through the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bitter sweet, I can relate. I'm happy they got puppy even though they won't fill the spot of the first pet.

    ReplyDelete