Sunday, October 18, 2015

Story #9: The Race

The Race
Run, Run, Run the man ran that owned the very nice old Pontiac GTO. It had a slick black paint job with wide race slicks on the back of it. He did not know if he was going to have the car ready to run in time for the drag race tonight. The biggest race in his life was going to happen tonight and he might not even be able to send the car down the quarter mile drag strip.
          Four days ago I took the car up to the track to see how it ran so I can get it all tuned up for the race of my life on Saturday night. It would the fastest drag car within a thousand miles. When I was at the track testing the transmission went out and the motor blow up too. I don't have a spare motor but I do have a transmission. I found a motor that is about ten hours away from where I live. The shipping will take about four days but I only three days to have it done and on the track.
          The next thing you know my wife and I are in the truck going down to Florida to get the motor. I have no help so I will have to speed the whole way down there and speed the whole way back home so I can up it back together and race. Fourteen have hours later my  wife and I finally made it down there. It took longer than we thought to get there.
We get out of the truck and the guy yells, "It's about time you show up."
"Sorry it was a long way down," I said.
" I don't want to hear any excuses."
"Well here is the money I need to be getting back on my way home."
" I shouldn't even sell you it because you're late."
"It's not my fault it was a long ride."
"Just take the motor and get out of here and never come back."
" ok," I said getting in my truck and leaving.
        At the end of the day we got back to my shop with the new motor and only a day to put it into the car. I took the oil pan off the old one and put it on so the motor is ready to go in. After ten hours of hard work it is in the car and running fine.
after all of the hard work that l put in it came out to be worth it. I took home the huge prize of winning the race.

42 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting and stressful,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how it ènded

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't expecting the narrator to have a wife. lol I think the dialogue between the cranky guy selling the motor and the narrator is very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to revise to include a positive note to author. Offering advice is great, just include something the author did well, too. Also, your "name" is derogatory, so please make it school-appropriate. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Really short but good ending

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Need to revise to include a positive note to author. Offering advice is great, just include something the author did well, too.

      Delete
  8. Couldn't tell where that was going to end up. Good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice lots of detail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did know what would happen was really good and different

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a good story just could have used more details and been longer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could have used a few more details but overall a good story

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the excitement and suspense

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the lesson this story taught! Fantastic job showing the values of hard work

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dialogue apwas well written

    ReplyDelete
  16. It had meaning good job

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dialogue was realistic and nice story overall

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very exciting story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kind of a harsh guy that seller was

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I was expecting a race but instead got a trip to get a motor and then no description of the race whatsoever but he still won.
    However, the dialogue was pretty great.
    Neat perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked the dialogue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good story, love the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exciting and realistic

    ReplyDelete