Friday, October 23, 2015

Story #43: Mystery

Mystery
            The first time I met him I thought, John C. Hodad. What a peculiar name. He walked into my classroom during third period on the first day after we came back from Christmas break.
            "Hello. My name is Ms. Appleman. I'm your health teacher. You are in the right class I presume?" I added as he gave me a awkward, sideways glance.
            "Yeah," John answered quietly as he went to sit in the only empty desk at the back of the room. He didn't say anything else for the rest of that period and I figured I should keep him after class to talk. Maybe he was just a quiet kid, but I saw potential in him.
            "So, are you going to participate in my class eventually, or will you always sit at your desk and stare blankly at your pen? Believe it or not I actually enjoy teaching and am here not only for the payment, but because I love the atmosphere and being able to teach your young minds and watch them grow into their full potential. I see that in you, potential, and I don't plan on sitting back and watching it go to waste. Are you with me?" I asked smiling like a fool.
            "Sure," he mumbled as he turned and walked towards the door. "See you tomorrow Ms. Appleman," he added as a last thought.
            For the next week, he came to class and left. He always had his homework done, but never said a word. Walking down the hallway on Thursday, when he dropped his books in front of my classroom, we connected. I noticed that he had a Bob Larson novel in his arms. Bob Larson was the most famous author of this century and his mystery novels had me on the edge of my seat every time I got my hands on a book of his.
            Third period Friday morning, John came barreling into the classroom with his nose buried into a book, almost running into me. "Woah, there, speedy McGee!" I joked with him. "What's that book you have your nose buried in all the time? Bob Larson?"... no response. "Okay, well which one's your favorite because personally, The Tale of Lockwood Hall is mine."
            All of the sudden, his eyes shot up to meet mine. "Oh my gosh... You like Bob Larson?! He's like, the best mystery writer of all time! I can't believe you read his books. The Tale of Lockwood Hall is my second favorite.  My first is The Clue of the Leaning Chimney," he said with a start.
            I finally broke him. Way to go Mrs. Appleman. Mental high-five. "Well, I'm very glad to hear that. Do you write at all?" I questioned. "I'd love to read some of your works." Over the next couple of weeks, John brought in 10 writing samples he had written and they were amazing. I passed them on to Mr. Dawson, the English teacher, and together we worked out a writing program for John.

            Throughout the next two years, we developed his writing style and even got him to meet Bob Larson. He was elated! John was inspired to go to college for writing and went on to be an even more renowned author than Bob. After my retirement, I loved receiving rough drafts of books to come and published books from my former student and friend, John C. Hodad.  

33 comments:

  1. Really good and funny story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this story. Truthfully. I like how everything comes together and the health teacher never gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the teacher didnt give up. Nice story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spoken funny story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written, good story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the perseverance of the teacher was great! Wonderfully put together and written!!!!!(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the plot and ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good story, and I love the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely story a very sweet ending

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one definitely resonates with me! :) I love how the teacher was able to connect with the quiet kid over a love for books and inspire him to to become a successful writer. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mysterious parts of the story

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly really love this. I like to write too. But yeahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story, glad it had a good ending. Motivational for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good story, Thanks for sharing. Thanks for wonderful article. There are many best cbse schools near me but CD International School is best school among them.

    ReplyDelete